Some Jewelry Care Tips
Here at Lincroft Village Jewelers, we’re experts in jewelry care. If you don’t share our expertise, let us give you some jewelry care tips.
- Apply lotion, cosmetics, hairspray and perfume before dressing in jewelry.
- When undressing, wipe each piece with a clean soft cloth to remove oils and perspiration.
- Store in a fabric-lined box, separately or individually-wrapped in tissue to prevent scratches.
- Never wear jewelry when doing physical work such as housekeeping, gardening or exercise.
- Never expose jewelry to household cleaning products.
- Never expose jewelry to chlorine swimming pools or hot tubs.
Tips for Cleaning:
- Follow the instructions appearing on the label or box.
- Clean in a secure location, not the rim of a sink where a piece may slip down the drain.
- Use only a soft brush, never sharp or hard objects, to remove dirt or particles.
- Clean your jewelry often; lotions, soaps and skin oils alter the optical properties of diamonds and gemstones, causing them to look dull.
- Seriously soiled jewelry should be cleaned professionally.
- Clean diamond jewelry with a soft brush dipped in warm water and mild detergent; rinse under running water.
- Never expose pearl jewelry to chemicals or solvents and store each piece in a soft bag.
- Don’t expose colored gemstones to chemicals, solvents or ultrasonics without knowing their specific cleaning requirements.
Tips for Long Life:
- Keep your Laboratory Reports in a safe location, separate from jewelry pieces, for security.
- Have your jewelry cleaned and checked by a professional for worn mountings, loose prongs and general condition at least once per year.
- Have white gold re-plated, platinum re-polished and prongs re-tipped as necessary to maintain original condition (generally every 24 months or so).
- Have frequently-worn pearls restrung as necessary, with a knot between each pearl to prevent loss if the string breaks.
- Some colored gemstones should not be exposed to sudden temperature changes; know your pieces and their needs.
- Select daily-wear jewelry that is in harmony with your lifestyle and schedule of activities.
- Treat each piece as if it were a family heirloom, for someday it may be.